Resources > Library
Sharing our stories
Like many churches, DaySpring is blessed to have those who are gifted as
teachers and writers. We have posted some of their works here. Some of
these selections are manuscripts from courses that have been taught along
the way at our church, others are papers, essays, articles, songs, and
poetry that have been written by our church members. They are offered here
for your personal use only and not for publication.
We recommend the free Foxit PDF Reader to open the documents listed.
Articles, Essays, Music, Prayers and Poems
- The Authentic Self
- A progressive series of chapters written by Burt Burleson for an adult class in the Spring of 2006.
- Worship Aimed at the Heart
- A spiritual formation session for adults dealing with the intent and priorities of our worship.
- A Different Christianity
- A discussion on the ancient Christian inner path written by Doyle Young.
- Pastoral Prayer
- A pastoral prayer from the Spring of 2007.
- Another prayer from worship in the Spring of 2007.
- Lenten reflections for DaySpring, 2008
- A set of prayers and thoughts on the passages we read during Lent, written by members of DaySpring. Previous year's reflections: 2007.
- Call to worship: silence
- A call to worship given by Anna Henderson on August 17, 2008.
Burt Burleson and Kurt Kaiser have written a number of contemplative choruses for worship. A CD was recorded in 2005 in honor of the pastor's 10th anniversary. These CDs are available in the Church Commons.
Recommended reading written by other authors
These books are available for purchase in the DaySpring narthex:
- The Naked Now by Richard Rohr
- The Illumined Heart by Frederica Mathewes-Green
- Armchair Mystic by Mark E. Thibodeaux, S.J.
- Practicing Our Faith by Dorothy C. Bass
- Spirituality of the Psalms by Walter Brueggemann
- Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Spiritual Direction and Meditation by Thomas Merton
- Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton
- The Violence of Love by Oscar Romero
Chapters on "Transforming Mission"
Beginning in early 2010, DaySpring is engaged in a conversation about mission. As a church and in small groups, we are discussing the direction the church is going in this area. Part of this discussion follows from the following texts.
The following PDF files are from "Transforming Mission" by David J. Bosch, published by Orbis Books in 1991. These are posted here with permission from the publisher.